The Simatai Section of Great Wall is in Gubeikou Town to the northeast of Miyun County, about 120 kilometers from downtown Beijing. It is famous for its five characters of "steepness, compactness, queerness, wonderfulness and comprehensiveness". The Simatai Section has a length of 5.4 kilometers that starts from the Capital Watching Tower to the east, to Chuankou to the west ; with 35 enemy watching towers are stood. Simatai is the only part of ancient Great Wall with the original features of the Ming Dynasty best preserved. It was architected under the famous general Qi Jiguang’s supervision and his original creation in the Wanli Years of the Ming Dynasty. It incorporates various characteristics of the world's miraculous architecture and at the same time bears its unique features. Professor Luo Zhewen, the prestigious Great Wall expert, praised "China's Great Walls are the best all around the world, while Simatai deserves the best among all Chinese Great Wall sections." In 1987, Simatai Great Wall has been listed by UNESCO into the World Cultural Heritage.
Simatai is divided into eastern and western parts by a hill valley with a rainbow-like chain bridge crossing over. The hills in the west are sloping gently and the jade kylin (unicorn) embossment on the General Tower shows which own originality and vividness. Have a walk in the rural field while looking the ancient defense architecture is leisure and relaxing. There are two springs called Mandarin Duck Springs in the valley. The east spring is cold, while the west is warm (about 37 degrees Celsius all the time). The two springs joined into one lake, half cold and the other warm. Boat services are provided to give you a good chance to tour around the scenic lake.
The eastern section of Simatai is like a golden dragon with majestic vigor flying up on the mountain from the lake. The altitude is from 295 meters above sea level up to 986 meters within a 2.4-km distance. The whole section is of unique design with refined and innovated architectural concept, and is in different look in every part, thus it has always been known as the essence of the Great Wall. Overlook the far off scenery on the majestic high ground, the field of vision of northern China's landscape is in the eyes of yours. On a clear day, you'll be quite happy to see the white clouds floating in the azure blue sky, the pretty doves flying freely, as well as the smell of the grass and soil, the calling of chicken and barking of dogs in local small villages. So refreshing ! At here, you can also see the mystical Capital Watching Tower, stunning the Heaven Bridge and simple Cat's Eye Tower.
How to Get There
1. Tourism No. 12 bus from Dongshisitiao (东四十条) or Xuanwumen
2. Dongan (东安) Special Bus Line, which is directly to the Simatai Section of Great Wall.
3. At Dongzhimen, you can take a long distance coach to Miyun County, and then change bus to Dongzhuanghe (东庄禾) Bus Stop.
Admission : 40 RMB.
Ropeway of Simatai : one way ticket 30 RMB and return trip 50 RMB.
Great Wall Express : one way 30 RMB and return trip 30 RMB.
Ropeway and Boat on the Lake : 35 RMB.
Boat only on the Lake : 10 RMB.
- For Disembark Passengers-3 Days Beijing City Tour
- For Disembark Passengers-2 Days Beijing Tour
- Beijing Shore Excursion-2 Days Best of Beijing Tour
- For Embark Passengers-4 Days Beijing and Xi$$an Tour
- For Embark Passengers--4 Days Beijing Highlights
- For Embark Passengers- 3 Days Beijing Essence
- For Embark Passengers- 2 Days Beijing Impression
- Beijing Zoo and Summer Palace Tour
- Xingang - Beijing one way transfer plus 3-day Beijin...
- Small Group Highlight of Great Wall Hiking Simatai W...