Jingshan Park is located at the north side of Forbidden City of Beijing and it belongs to the cultural relic under the municipal protection. And it is the royal park of Yuan Dynasty, Ming dynasty and Qing Dynasty. Jingshan Park is located in the center of downtown Beijing. Beijing Jingshan Park exactly locates at the middle of the axes from south to north. In Ming Dynasty, it was the waste and deserted land. In the 13th century, the capital of Yuan Dynasty was located in Beijing, and this place was set in the center of Beijing city and it was also the rear garden for Emperor’s leisure. In the garden there was land of 80,000 square meters used for Emperor’s farming to show the importance of agriculture, at the time it was named Qingshan or Green Hill. In the early time of Ming dynasty, Emperor Zhu Di largely established the city, including the palaces and the gardens. In accordance with the geomantic omen theory of Four Holy Animals (Dragon, Tiger, Bird and Tortoise & Snake), which administrate four directions respectively. The north of the Forbidden City is the site of tortoise and there should be a hill or mountain, hence a man-made hill, based on Green Hill, was named Wansuishan Hill or Longevity Hill, also because once a lot of coal was collected there, it was also called Coal Hill. At the foot of Longevity Hill, a lot of fruit trees were planted there, so it also was named Baiguo Yuan or Hundred-Fruit Garden.

At the northeast side of Mountain, many halls or palaces were built there for Emperor’s ascending, drinking, banquet, toxophily and flower appreciation. Guangde Palace at the northeast side of garden was the place for toxophily. A large group pf domestic cranes and deer were raised there to show the meaning of longevity. On the day of The Double Ninth Festival, Emperor used to climb up the mountains to take a remote look for praying longevity. In 1644, Emperor Zhu Yoijian committed suicide on athe Longevity Hill when the army of uprising peasant entered Beijing. in 1655 this hill was finally named Jinshan. In 1949, Jingshan was restored and widely rebuilt, and formally was named Jingshan Park.

Beijing Travel, Beijing Tours, Beijing Travel Guide, Traveling to Beijing, Travelling to Beijing,
Copyright © 2010 Beijing Attractions. All Rights Reserved.