Wenyuange(Pavilion of Literary Source) behind Wenhuadian (Hall of Literary Glory) of Donghuamen Gate was originally the former site of Shengjidian of Ming Dynasty. Historically the Cabinet of Ming Dynasty was set here. Its construction started from 1774 and ended in 1776 in Qing Dynasty, and then it was the special library for emperor to collect the series of book Siku Quanshu(四库全书, Imperial Collection of Four, The Siku Quanshu, variously translated as the Imperial Collection of Four, Emperor's Four Treasuries, Complete Library in Four Branches of Literature, or Complete Library of the Four Treasuries, is the largest collection of books in Chinese History and probably the most ambitious editorial enterprise in the history of the world.) . In 1773, Emperor Qianlong officially ordered to compile Sikuquanshu and opened a Hall of Sikuquanshu, later on he demanded to build Library Tower, which was finalized to be Wenyuange(Pavilion of Literary Source) for collecting Sikuquanshu. It was completed in 1776.

Wenyuange(Pavilion of Literary Source) faces south and backs on north, resembling Tianyige in Ningbo of Zhejiang province. The most attractive is its black glazed tiles with the margin of green glazed tiles. The black here means water to resist fire disasters. The books here were numerous, too many literature scholars worked here. Although it was the royal library, according to the regulation of royal palace in Qing dynasty, the officials who liked the ancient books best and studied hardest at the ancient literature were allowed to stay in the library but they can not blemish the books and take the books out of the room.

Beijing Travel, Beijing Tours, Beijing Travel Guide, Traveling to Beijing, Travelling to Beijing,
Copyright © 2010 Beijing Attractions. All Rights Reserved.