Taihemen is the largest palace gate in Forbidden City, and also the official main gate of the administrative-zone palaces. Taihemwn was established in 1420. And then it was called Fengtianmen. In 1562, it was renamed Huangjimen, and in 1645, it was finalized to be Taihemen(Gate of Supreme Harmony). It was restored in both 1646 and 1802, and in 1888 it was burnt down. In 1889, it was rebuilt.

Taihemen(Gate of Supreme Harmony) has a total area of 1300 square meters. The roof belongs to double-eave Xieshanding and the base is white marble. The beams or arches are painted with the splendid pictures. In front of the gate, there is a pair of copper lion statues and four Copper Dings (鼎, an ancient cooking utensils, later on, it became the symbol of a country or power). This pair of lion statues is special and the largest pair among six pairs in Forbidden City. The lion on the left controlling a ball is the symbol of power, and right one is a mother lion.

In Ming dynasty, Taihemen(Gate of Supreme Harmony) was the place for Emperor to deal with the national affairs. Here, the emperor together with his officials and officers did with the nationwide affairs. At the early period of Qing Dynasty, Emperor also dealt with national affairs and presented banquets to officials here. Taihemen(Gate of Supreme Harmony) has the top level in Chinese ancient gate buildings.
 
 
 
Taihemen
 
 
 
 

Beijing Travel, Beijing Tours, Beijing Travel Guide, Traveling to Beijing, Travelling to Beijing,
Copyright © 2010 Beijing Attractions. All Rights Reserved.