Chengqiangong is one of the east six palaces in living zone of Forbidden City of Beijing. In 1420, it was completed and originally named Yongninggong (Palace of Eternal Tranquility). In August, 1632, it was finalized to be Chengqiangong. In 1655 it was rebuilt and in 1832 it was also partially restored. In Ming Dynasty, this palace was lived by Concubines and in Qing Dynasty; it was still the residence of concubines.

Additionally, Chengqiangong was not only famous for the pear flowers, but also a very heart-broken love story surrounding in the palaces over the past hundreds of years. In the early time of Qing Dynasty, Concubine Dongefei loved deeply by Emperor Shunzhi lived here. Here, Dongefei lived happily with Emperor Shunzhi in this pear-flower-blooming palace. Their romantic love story was even adored and spread by many famous poets or scholars such as Wu Meicun, a patriotic poet who wrote a lot of poems connected with love and patriotism.

In accordance with historical record, after Concubine Dongefei died, Emperor Shunzhi was extremely sorrowful and cost a lot for funeral of Dongefei. Even in the sorrow, Emperor altogether with eunuch and ladies in waiting cried aloud. It was said that Concubine Dongefei was a famous prostitute in Nanjing and used to perform on the riverside of Qinhuaihe River, where was the leisure center for scholars and well-educated youth. But due to the shortage of reference materials, such a story is just a legend that was widely spread in folk community.
 
 
 
 
Chengqiangong
 
 
 
 
 

Beijing Travel, Beijing Tours, Beijing Travel Guide, Traveling to Beijing, Travelling to Beijing,
Copyright © 2010 Beijing Attractions. All Rights Reserved.